Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Hazy, hot and humid= Summertime Salmon Salad

Oh my God it's hot! I leave the DC area for a week long class, sunny skies and cool breezes in Newport, Rhode Island and come home to August in June! Lol! I mean it is crazy hot here-low to mid 90s with high humidity, hazy skies, and the occasional thunderstorm. Definitely summertime now. 

Unfortunately, while I would be perfectly content with summer fruit and a cheese platter for dinner, the rest of my family has been swimming in the pool for three hours and needs something a bit more substantial. This kind of day calls for a big dinner salad. Tonight's version:

Garlic-Parsley Butter Grilled Salmon Composed Salad with a Honey-Mustard Vinegrette  


This is a super fast and easy recipe and satisfies even the hungriest little fish at your table. 

Summertime Salmon Salad:

4 Fillets Salmon (wild Alaskan is my favorite but farm raised will do just as well)
1/3c. Softened Butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat grill to high

For the garlic butter, combine butter, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper until well combined
Pat the salmon fillets dry 
Spread  about 1/2 tbsp butter mixture on each fillet

Once grill reaches 400 degrees, grill the salmon skin, side down, for 8-10 minutes depending on thickness and cook until just cooked through. Remove to a plate

Honey Mustard Vinegrette

1/4 c fresh lemon juice
1/4 c extra Virginia olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Composed Salad- 

Now here is where you get to use your imagination, favorite flavor combinations, or (in my case) whatever you have in your fridge. 
Today I used chopped romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, diced cucumber, hard boiled egg halves, olives, and some wonderful leftover marinated oven roast tomatoes I had in the back of my fridge. I'll post that recipe another time :)

I also had some leftover garlic butter, so I popped that on a few ciabatta rolls I had tossed in the freezer a few weeks ago and toasted those up as well. I love the crunch of hot grilled bread along with a cool salad. 
(Bread before picture because my kids are the grilled bread before I remember to grab a photo of it! But trust me when o say it was grilled to crunchy perfection. Lol!)
Now the easy assembly- 
Dress the salad with the Vinegrette, top with the grilled fish and serve with some of the lovely grilled bread. Easy peasy, healthy and satisfying. 

Hope you enjoy! 
Xx
K

No comments:

Post a Comment