Sunday, September 6, 2015

Apple Almond Clafoutis

Ah...it's finally September, though if you check the weather here in Northern Virginia it is still summertime- hazy hot and humid! Regardless of the temperatures though apples have come into season and my kids and I headed out early to our favorite local area farm (Homestead Farms in Poolesville, VA- which you should definitely check out if you are ever in the DC area and looking for great pick your own produce, feed goats, and pat some of the friendliest golden retrievers you have ever met!) to beat the heat and the inevitable crowds to pick apples and get in that autumn/back to school frame of mind. 

Tempted by all that sweet crunchy fruit we exercised some restraint and walked away with only 35 lbs of apples! Hahaha, we should be good to go on apple for at least a few months now. 

So many things to make with apples and the recipes are everywhere but I was in the mood for a little something different, but of course not too complicateed or fussy. So....what to make? 

Ah ha! Clafoutis! Yes, I know this custard like pancake is usually made with cherries or other soft summer fruits, but I think this version will satisfy all those early fall cravings for apples, almonds and cinnamon. I also wanted to bump up the protein a bit and try a gluten free version (for my friend's daughter) and so I experimented with some almond flour I had leftover from a lemon polenta cake  and came up with this! I hope you enjoy!



Apple Almond Clafoutis 
(adapted from "The Joy of Cooking" by I. Rombauer

4 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. whole milk (or heavy cream, if you are feeling naughty)
3/4 c. almond flour
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp rum (optional)
2 apples, peeled, and diced 
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter (for the pan)

recipe note- you can use all purpose flour in place of almond flour if you prefer. I would then add 1/4 sliced almonds to the top of the clafoutis prior to baking.

Preheat oven to 350F

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Whisk in sugar until dissolved. Whisk in milk or cream and then add the almond flour, vanilla, rum, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside. 




Peel and dice the apples and sprinkle with cinnamon (I use a heavy hand with the cinnamon because I do love apples with cinnamon!)


Butter a shallow round baking dish (I used a medium cast iron pan). Sprinkle the apples all over the bottom of the pan. Pour the batter over apples and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the clafoutis.

Let rest about 20 minutes before serving



Serve with a few strips of salty bacon for a hearty breakfast or a dust with powdered sugar and serve with a dollop of whipped cream!

Hope you enjoy...my kids devoured it! 

 
K

No comments:

Post a Comment